Tuesday, May 24, 2011

In Defense of the Snooze Button

I'm a snooze button hitter.  I hit it like 6 times a morning.  And man, does it drive the people who share my bed with me nuts. 
My son came into my bed last night after a bad dream.  No big deal.  Then the alarm starts going off.  By the 3rd time I hit snooze, he was angry.  I told him to go sleep in his own, perfectly fine, perfectly safe bed, then.  He didn't.  But he sighed quite audibly every time the alarm went off.
My boyfriend hates it, too.  I think his resentment of it stems from the fact that he has to get up early and I don't.  His child, who is utterly clueless in the morning, has to catch her school bus pretty early, and if he doesn't get up to ensure she takes her medicine, gets dressed, makes her lunch, etc., she'll sit in front of the tv with her mouth gaping open like she has no clue what she needs to do each and every morning.  This isn't my problem, as far as I'm concerned.  I don't have to leave my house until 9:00. 
But I set my alarm a little earlier than I have to, because, frankly, I enjoy laying in my bed half asleep/ half awake.  It is during these moments in between snoozes that I plan my day.  What is so wrong with that?  It's when I decide what I'm going to wear, what I'm going to eat, and all those other pressing concerns one has in the morning.
My bed is the most comfortable place on earth.  Why would I want to think these things at the kitchen table or something lame like that?
I don't begrudge others their morning routine, and mine works for me, so why should I have to change it?

No comments:

Post a Comment